Sunday, January 17, 2010

011710

I've had decades to think about this and here's what I conclude: if you're not scared before you perform (anything) then you're no good. Sir Lawrence Olivier, possibly the greatest performer of the 20th century, puked before every single performance, right to the end. We are _all_ terrified before we get onto a stage, into the spotlight. The difference between performers and non-performers is _definitely not_ that performers don't get scared; we who perform are compelled to perform for many reasons; we have no choice; we _have_ to overcome our stage fright because we can't imagine any other way of living. If you're not scared, that means you're taking no risks, you have nothing valuable to say, you've lost your edge.

*Lord's-Jester*

Here's my latest article for Fragrantica, a perfume site with more than 550,000 registered users. The editor added a number of gorgeous images to the text. (Link is Alchemy and...):

Alchemy and the Power of More (and Less):

There is one imperative with natural perfume, an artistic one. That some natural perfumes have aromatherapeutic value, while itself important, is not the point of natural perfume. I feel strongly that this art is the highest of all arts. I make this grand statement only because I myself have practiced numerous arts so I feel justified. I've been, and still am, a writer in various genres, but I've also been a professional photographer and graphic designer, a jazz musician, a spoken word artist, and an actor. In my mind, natural perfume ties all these arts together into a complex, incredibly rich, and emphatically spiritual endeavor.

For many of us, natural perfume is a multi-sensory experience, showing us colors and music and poetry. Needless to say, because of this fact, inspiration is never hard to come by. I know perfumers who base their perfumes on their favorite paintings, or their favorite classical music, or their favorite literary works. How could a perfume be based on such things? You see, this is where the magic of the art comes in: each individual decides for her or himself how, say, a sculpture might inspire a perfume. And we all have different sources of inspiration; for some it could be a beautiful lady (I myself am guilty here, as charged), or a beautiful day, or a play.

The possibilities are as endless as there are people on the planet, and certainly as rich as the wild earth Charles Darwin saw when he wrote, "It creates a feeling of wonder that so much beauty should be apparently created for such little purpose." Ah, yes, Mr. Darwin, but we natural perfumers have a purpose for much of what the earth provides. The real art of it lies in compounding perfumes which speak to, sum up, and reflect the various facets of this great blue marble, the memories, the joy, the fantasies. We all have fantasies and natural perfume, all of perfume, speaks to no one if it isn't, even just a small bit, fantastic.

How does natural perfume work exactly? The gist of it is that you take a handful of aromatics and dissolve them in high-proof alcohol; solid perfumes are a tad different in that the aromatics need to dissolve in fixed oil. Many aromatic materials (but not all) need to be rendered usable before a perfume can be made with them. This means a hot-water bath must be used (benzoin, for example), the material must be diluted before use (orris butter, for example), or it must be macerated for some time in a substrate (ambergris, for example). I myself made my own ambergris oil-infusion, so determined was I to make solid perfumes with ambergris; I have the tincture as well.

In most cases we are on our own to render materials usable. From there, the building blocks are known as chords, or accords, one for each section, base, middle, and top. The conventional wisdom holds that a chord is three or four notes (see how nicely musical analogies work?); I use chords with anywhere from three to eight notes. I know I have my own ways of doing things. A perfume with 24 notes? Most perfumers balk at the idea, but in my experience that many notes are needed for a deep, bowl-you-over perfume experience. So the trick is this: learning to balance all that olfactory substance. The balance might come by way of contrast (ambergris and rose), or reiteration (rosewood and palmarosa), or a tiny touch of some particular ingredient (black pepper).

Natural perfumery is in fact descended from alchemy. While alchemy was considered part of science, many of the same principles apply: that apparent opposites might actually reinforce each other, that certain combinations are synergistic (patchouli, for example, has an amazing effect on rose; when the two combine, it suddenly smells as if you're sniffing a dozen fresh rose bunches, or a hundred rose bushes), that less is often a lot more (of a particular ingredient). In our art, which is also partly a chemical science, a little bit can go a long, long way, and a lot of it simply can't be explained.

*Vegetarian*

As many of you know I spent more than 15 years as a strict vegan, militant I would say. I must confess that, while being an omnivore has done me good, because of Climate Change I must switch back to being a vegetarian. Friends and family, do not fear: I will happily eat whatever you serve me when I'm your guest (just as I did in China). This choice stems largely from my studies in college, which I will discuss in the next installment. Our contributions to global-warming emissions, as carnivores, cannot be overestimated. This time, I won't be vegan and I won't be strict. The worry for me is getting enough calories, especially with MS. This is where eating dairy and eggs comes in. This, for me, is very unfortunate: because I need calories so badly, I'm forced to eat dairy; I know from all my studies over the years that I'd be much better off eating meat than eating dairy. A man has to think of everyone else in the world, especially the poor, and there is no doubt eating meat makes us all worse off.

*Quotations*

A sense of humor is just common sense dancing.
--William James
[This concept is hard for me to wrap my mind around.]

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
--Voltaire
[I resent this sentiment, at least a little.]

My soul, like some heat-maddened summer fly, keeps buzzing at the sill. Which I is I?
--Teddy Roethke
[I struggle everyday to find me in the middle of this mess.]

People don't choose their careers; they are engulfed by them.
--John Dos Passos
[I'm still waiting.]

The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
--Maureen Dowd
[I can't settle for anything less than I want.]

Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.
--Swedish proverb

In doing what we ought we deserve no praise.
--Latin proverb

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
--Abraham Lincoln

A part of kindness consists in loving people more than they deserve.
--Joseph Joubert

Audiences deserve better.
--Leonard Maltin

*Music*

First January 2010, mix

1. Stars, Joe Henry
2. Anonanimal, Andrew Bird
3. The Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All), The Decemberists
4. For Every Drop, Sonya Kitchell
5. One of Those Days, Eilen Jewell
6. Fugitive, David Gray
7. A Falling Through, Ray LaMontagne
8. Masterswarm, Andrew Bird
9. Suit on a Frame, Joe Henry
10. The Wanting Comes in Waves (Repaid), The Decemberists
11. First Chance, David Gray
12. Who Knows after All, Sonya Kitchell
13. Codeine Arms, Eilen Jewell
14. Nomenclature, Andrew Bird
15. Hazards of Love 3 (Revenge!), The Decemberists
16. Full Steam, David Gray with Annie Lennox
17. Prelude: Light No Lamp When the Sun Comes Down, Joe Henry

Peace love and ATOM jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment